Wednesday, March 7, 2012

It came but couldn't stay longer:/

Hi,
Am sorry for dragging this surprise for this long and very sorry that you (and me) have to bear with this for another 15 days. Hold on, don't jump off your couch (or whatever you are sitting on) yet. I got the thingy (Yep, now I know what it is! ;-> ) but had to sent back due to an issue with the product. This is the painful part as shipping across continents is slow (unless you opt for a super fast service and considering the weight of this item, it will cost a fortune! which of course a hobby photographer lacks anyway!). The item should reach the seller in another 5-7 days and lets say 2 days of verification of the issue reported and then they'll send another piece  or the same one if the issue reported is actually not an issue. Now most of you must be wondering what the issue was actually. Well it's something based on my nitpicking attitude or what I call is 'obsession with perfection for things I love'.


In some cases (like this very issue we talking about) it's more useful to beat around the bush than to hit it head on (kinda like if there is a snake or something in the bush, that you would rather like to scare off than to face it straight. Lollzzz). So here we go..

The shutter actuations is the number of times the camera shutter is pressed full causing an exposure. It could be to take pictures or to test the camera. In either case I would have been happy with a 2 digit count (instead of 1 digit, as the camera has 6 frames per second burst mode and pressing and holding the shutter for few seconds might take the count to 2 digits easily). The camera body I received was a new one for sure, so only reason for a higher shutter count is factory testing. A count of 698 is not low even then. So I contacted the customer support of the seller and they asked me to verify the details before confirming, that the shutter count is actually high. So they requested me to sent back the unit so that they can replace and send me a new one. It was really nice on their part to be courteous in all communications till now and have been really prompt in sending a return form within hours of raising the issue. So finally I somehow managed to get time to ship the unit back to them and have to wait till they receive and update me on the replacement part. Well considering a total shutter life of 150000 clicks, 698 ain't much, but....(there I go again on my "obsession with blah blah blah....".) you don't wanna hear that again, do ya?!!

So here is the deal, if Nikon confirms the count is fine and being done at factory I would ask for the unit back, else a new one:) Either way am head over heels in love with the babe (I mean the cam:p), especially after taking few test shots when it was with me. Now all 'WE' (yeah you n me!) gotta do is wait for it...

Till the next update, Have faith:)

Update: Here is how you can check the shutter count of your camera without using any special software:

1. Click a picture on your DSLR (doesn't matter it's RAW or JPEG)
2. Open a new tab (I assume you are reading this blog on your browser and to continue reading, you need a new tab.) on your web browser and type this site name:  http://myshuttercount.com/
3. Click on the 'Choose File' button displayed on the page (as shown below).


4. Once the file is selected (the file name will be visible next to the 'Choose File' button as shown below), click on 'Upload File' button.


5. Depending on how large your picture file is, it will take some time to complete the upload process. So have patience and wait. Do not click on 'Refresh' or any other button during this time.

6. Once the upload is complete, following information will be shown:
Note: Area marked in green should show the Camera model no;-)


So there you go. Now this site will come handy if you are checking a second-hand gear and want to know the shutter actuations and there is a computer and internet connection handy (unless you shooting in really remote place on the planet!).

For Mac Owners:
Here is how to check the shutter count on a Mac OSX Lion (It may work with older version of Mac as well, but am not sure, as I use the version described here! Give it a try.):

1. Double click on the picture to open in 'Preview'
2. Press Command + i  to bring up the 'inspector' window and select 'Nikon' (as shown below):



Your friendly neighbourhood photo-enthusiast,
Sid

(Oops, I think I just mentioned the camera brand name in the post:P Enjoy guessing the model now!)

No comments: